Apart from complaining about neighbors and relatives MIL kept asking us every now & then if they can come with us to live here forever!! The type of excuses she made –
· # We will help in your house work. FIL will do gardening in new house and I will help you with cooking & cleaning!! (yeah right!! I saw that while they were here for 5 weeks!!)
· # We will sell this property & give you money to do business. Now if you will do business you will need help our also. You cannot do it alone so we will come there to help you.
· # This Aunty & Uncle went to London to live with their son & DIL and those people went to US to live with their son.
· # It will be more fun if we live together.
· # I always wake up in middle of night after the dream that you guys have given “the good news” & we have to come their ASAP to look after you guys!!
· # We feel very lonely here, no one talks with us and there are so many problems here!!
All this time PK & my mouth was zipped. We did not replied!!
I went downstairs one morning to get some water, PK was still sleeping in bed-room upstairs. First thing MIL asked me when she saw me in kitchen was – “What did your Mum gave you as gifts when you were there for festivals, your birthday & also you went after so long time. That Aunty was saying to me that your DIL will get lots of gifts (gold jewellery, clothes, money!!) from her Mum!!”
I like suddenly woke up from my half sleep!! I told her I won’t tell you if you & that Aunty are going to measure my parents’ status and all. I did not went to collect money from my parents, by God’s grace my husband & I earn well & I don’t have to ask anyone for money & jewellery & clothes. We can manage our own. She said “Oh.. no..no I was just asking generally, I also don’t like that Aunty you know..” I just said roughly what my Mum bought for me and then said I don’t remember properly & left the kitchen. But I am regretting now why I even said that. But I am sure she would have called my Mum & asked her if I would not have told her!!
Our return to Sydney flight was from Ahmedabad. So we drove to the Ahmedabad. All the way MIL kept warming my ears with questions. Where have you kept this? What jewellery are you taking with you? What is this spot on your chin?? (its black spot which she thought is some pimple mark or God knows what!!) Are your luggage bags new?? From where you purchased? Is this Nail-paint new?? aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggggg………………….
On the way, we stopped at PK’s Uncle’s & Auntie’s place to meet them. Here is one of the conversations between Auntie, me & MIL. This was just before we were about to leave for airport.
Auntie – TPPL, last time when you came to India alone.. Why you did not came here to meet us??
Me – Auntie, I came here to see my sick Mum for few days and also PK was not with me & I had very few days with me so could not come.
MIL to Auntie – you know even with us she stayed for 5 days only!!
Auntie – yeah but she can come to meet us just for an hour naa.
MIL – ask her, why she did not stayed with us for few more days..
Me – My Mum was sick, I came alone without PK to meet her. I still stayed with you first 5 days & did not saw my Mum for whom I had travelled from that far.
MIL – Yaa yaa whatever.. our house is first, we are first.. Everything else should be after that..
Me – !! stunned & mute !!
In my heart I was crying thinking – you are last, you always will be last, your house is last, my Mum is first and always will be more important than you.. I was literally crying from inside..
Whole incident PK was not there.
At the airport, PK & I were like feelingless. Did not even hugged them..just waved them Good-bye.. VERY VERY Good-bye..